CANE RIDGE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA

Least Tern border.

 


Cane Ridge is the perfect place to go if you want to get outside and get away from it all. Located in a remote area in Gibson County, there is a gravel parking area and a spacious observation deck with a ramp for bird and wildlife watching. This area attracts lots of waterfowl, shorebirds, gulls, terns, and wading birds all throughout the year.  As home to the largest nesting colony of the endangered interior Least Tern east of the Mississippi River, this refuge has been recognized as a Globally Important Bird Area and included in the National Audubon Society’s Important Bird Areas in Indiana. With over  380 species of wildlife in our area, early mornings may be your ideal time to see wildlife in and around the river bottoms.This wildlife management property lies off the southwest corner of Duke Energy’s 3,000-acre Gibson Lake west of Princeton.

Driving Directions: (please be aware that you will be traveling on some gravel roads)

Turn south off IN-64 onto IN-65. Turn west on Base Road, then south on CR 850W. Turn west on CR 150S and follow it around the bottom of Gibson Lake to CR 1075W, then turn south (the only direction available). The Cane Ridge observation deck will be on the right.

38°19’59.4″N 87°46’00.1″W

SEVERNS BRIDGE



severns bridge

 


John Severns, Sr., a native of Wales, is recognized as the first white settler in Gibson County. While enlisted as a soldier during the Revolutionary War, he secured a furlough to visit his parents in the wilds of West Virginia. While there, he was captured along with his entire family by Indians. His father, mother, a younger brother and sister were murdered by them while he and his older brother were held as prisoners and taken back to an Indian town somewhere on the headwaters of the White River.  After being a prisoner for seven years he made his escape and soon afterward 
married and settled in Kentucky where he lived for three years. His older brother, who was captured with him was given to another family of Indians and taken away and he never saw him again. This brother was adopted by a prominent chief and later married an Indian woman.  In 1789 John Severns, Sr., settled with his wife and five children on the south bank of the Patoka River, two and one-half miles north of Princeton, Indiana at a point now known as Severns Bridge, where he ran a ferry boat. This point was long known as Severns Ferry, later Severns Bridge.  Because of his knowledge of the Indian dialect, their manners and customs, he was able to make friends with the Indians and they permitted him to settle among them. At that time there was a large Indian town on the north bank of the Patoka river, nearly opposite his home. John Severns, Sr., died in about 1829.  Severns Bridge was constructed in 1908 and rehabilitated in 2009 by the local government and Federal Highway funds. The benches, picnic areas and walking path were donated by Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana and built by Toyota team members.
Driving Directions:  From downtown Princeton, follow State Road 65 North approximately 3 miles to bridge on left.

MAURICE’S

2701 W Broadway ST.- Princeton
(812) 385-2298