COCKRUM HALL

 
Cockrum hall border

 

James Cockrum a resident of Oakland City, was born in 1799 in North Carolina and purchased land in Gibson County in 1818. Along with sympathizers in Warrick, Gibson and Pike Counties, Cockrum and his son, William Monroe Cockrum,  used their barn to aid enslaved Blacks seeking freedom along the Underground Railroad.  Cockrum died November 19, 1875.  His home, located on the Oakland City University campus, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.  With restoration completed in 2002, Cockrum Hall houses the Offices of Development and Alumni Affairs for Oakland City University.
38 Lucretia Street
Oakland City, IN 47660
(812) 749-1228